[Phys-L] light mixer retrofitting

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<big>I had gotten a lot of emails after my short article, "A Bright
Color Mixer", appeared in the Trick of the Trade column of The Physics
Teacher magazine, Vol. 40.&nbsp; In this column I described how to turn an
old three-panel video projector into a bright, three-color mixer.&nbsp; Many
of the people who emailed me were looking for advice on how to go about
finding a surplussed projector that still worked.&nbsp; Repairing a broken
projector can be cost-prohibitive, and even just replacing a bad bulb
may cost hundreds of dollars.<br>
This week, the bulb in my Sharp XG-E1100U projector finally went out,
so I decided to try an alternate lighting method.&nbsp; I removed almost all
the electronics from the projector.&nbsp; I then installed a small
transformer to power the two 12V DC fans.&nbsp; I wired these directly to
the supply so that the fans run continuously when the projector is
plugged in.&nbsp; I removed the high-voltage lamp from its reflector, then
had our machinist install an electrical attachment through the base of
the reflector.&nbsp; The attachment is two female clips in a ceramic disc,
designed to fit a 600W, 120V BHC projector lamp.&nbsp; We buy these for
$5.95.&nbsp; I then rewired the projector for the 120V bulb.&nbsp; I placed the
power switch and other safety switches in series with a relay.&nbsp; When
power is on and all safety switches are closed, the relay engages to
power the bulb.&nbsp; In series with with the relay and bulb are two
resettable heat fuses that were already in position, and also a 10A
fuse that I installed.<br>
The new projector works very well, though to my eye it is not quite as
bright.&nbsp; But since it is easier to find a broken projector than a
working one, a little extra labor makes this demonstration more widely
available, and also less expensive.<br>
To view the original Physics Teacher column article, follow this link:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.phys.appstate.edu/demos/mixer/lightmixer.htm";>www.phys.appstate.edu/demos/mixer/lightmixer.htm</a><br>
John Cockman<br>
Lecture Demonstration Manager<br>
Phsics and Astronomy<br>