[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

Reading is certainly important. I think we all agree on the historical
signifcance of the printed text. However like all skills and
strategies, the fact that it works well for some things does not imply
that is works well for all. In science it certainly works to provide a
posterior foundation, to codify the canon, so to speak. But that does
not mean that one can learn well from it.

joe

Steven Ratliff wrote:

I agree with Herb. Reading is very important, in physics
and in life outside physics. Without reading, you will lead
an impoverished intellectual life.

What you say might be true .
But you forgot that scientists relied on their textbooks
in order to
become scientists in the first place.

Steven Ratliff
e-mail: steven@stevenratliff.com