[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

I think if you look at history you might find it otherwise, or for that
matter even consider your own experience. If you, like folks I've
chatted with, might say you really didn't understand X until you had to
teach it. "Knowledge as understanding" is profoundly difference than
"knowing about."
There is a wonderful book by the late Mara Beller that describes how it
is that the Copenhagen interpretation of qm became "the" interpretation,
even though there was another mathematically equivalent one around. It
was because Bohr had a place where people can together and discussed.
We learn by conversation. That is not to say books don't have a place,
they anchor the past, but I don't think they are so good for future.

joe

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

What you say might be true .
But you forgot that scientists relied on their textbooks in order to
become scientists in the first place.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:41:32 -0600 Joseph Bellina