[Phys-L] Re: Modern Physics. Was: Re: The bulb-with-one-wire task: too tricky?

| On reflection, the argument that "fewer people were literate,
| so the literate people were MORE literate" is foolish, and I
| did not mean to imply it. It's true that fewer people were
| literate, but it doesn't follow that this makes the literate
| people more so. <snipped a lot of good stuff>

Vickie I think you are right, todays student has a blizzard of
information coming at them, so probably a key skill for the present era
is going to be development of that "filter".

Your story of the library reminds me of an old nuclear physics book
where the author on purpose wrote problems and questions that required
some library work. It was done quite on purpose. As a student we
didn't like it; but I must admit it was laziness. We preferred the book
where all the information to do the problem was self-contained in the
book.