[Phys-L] Encouraging Reading Skills (was RE: In the Private Universe)

One approach to reinforcing reading that I have started recently is to give a simple assignment for each new chapter - to be completed BEFORE the first class on that material. They have to find nine pieces of information:
* 3 ideas that that were already familiar with before reading the chapter
* 3 ideas that they learned by reading the chapter
* 3 ideas that were still unclear after reading the chapter

So far I have been doing this mostly in gen. ed. courses (astronomy & physical science), but I may expand to core physics courses. The assignment asks them to write a full, specific sentence, rather than just a subject, like "I knew that the color of light was related to wavelength." rather than "color". Of course, everyone has different answers!

This kills several birds with one stone:
* students have to open the book more than the day before an assignment or exam!
* students have to pay attention to what they read.
* students practice writing.
* I get feedback before getting to the end of the chapter (and I can use it for subsequent semesters).
* I can tell students that I am focusing on the things that they need help with, even if it is really about the same thing I was going to do anyway ;-)

I don't remember exactly what inspired me to try this. I hope it isn't an idea that I stole from somewhere and forgot where I stole it :-)

Tim F

Instructor of Physics
Barton County Community College
Great Bend, KS