[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

Anthony Lapinski writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Lapinski [mailto:anthony_lapinski@PDS.ORG]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:22 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: In the Private Universe

Unfortunately, the vast majority of science textbooks (esp. physics)
are
too long, too technical, too factual, and too dry. Books should be
readable (like those by Hewitt). I imagine these are hard to write
since
science is a difficult subject. College physics texts basically all
look
the same. We need more graphics, better explanations, and shorter
books.
Who can adequately cover (and comprehend) 25-30 chapters in one year???

The books are too long (and too damn heavy!) in part because of too many
graphics (why read when a cartoon can substitute?), too many worked
examples (after all - there must be one example by which the students
can learn how to do each of the problem types at the end of the
chapter), and the competition to include all of physics from Thales to
superstrings.

Suggested reading: the preface to the 1960 edition of Halliday and
Resnick. Nothing has changed!

"Eternity is very long,
especially toward the end."
- Woody Allen