[Phys-L] Re: The bulb-with-one-wire task: too tricky?

--- "RAUBER, JOEL" <Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU> wrote:

the word "cell" is
dropping from the
vernacular.

Duracell and Everyready refer to their entire line as
batteries.

The whole bulb and wire activity is quickly becoming
outdated. Our grandchildren aren't going to have to
worry about this since all flashlights will be LED's,
very compact fluorescents, a combination of the two,
or some new technology we haven't heard of yet, but
incandescent bulbs are dead.

I have a mini-LED flashlight on my keychain as do a
bunch of my students. The heavy duty campers all have
LED flashlights already to save weight.

Getting old has its
problems wrt the
teaching profession.

Ooo... Let's start an old-fogey list:

* Although most of my students know what a record
player is, only a few have used them. None of them
knew about the different speed settings. No student of
mine in the last five years knows what the little
blinky light on expensive record players is for.

* Only half of my students have used a cassette tape.

* Only half of my students have ever been on a
merry-go-round.

* Only a few know what a Poloroid camera is.

* None of them have ever used a Thermos.

* None know what air pop popcorn is.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover