[Phys-L] Re: water and internal energy

On Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:25 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I tell my students that steam burns at 100°C are more harmful
than water burns at 100°C because the steam has more internal
energy (latent heat -- mL). Similarly, water at 0°C has more
internal energy that ice at 0°C. Phase changes (+Q) increase
the internal PE of the atoms, but not the KE (since the
temperature does not change).

If we assume the water/steam is maintained at a constant temp of 100°C, would it make a difference? What if we assume that air has an insulating effect?

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301