[Phys-L] Re: WriteCDE (California Standards Test, Physics 2003/04)

I have my own modest proposal. Do not collaborate with the ill
conceived high stakes testing movement. There is no evidence that it
will result in any positive results. There is ample evidence that it
narrow the curriculum, and promotes cheating by teachers and
administrators. It also promotes schemes which ultimately encourage
students to drop out of school. It also works against the
implementation of good research designed curricula.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Jack Uretsky (2005) responded to Cleyet (2005) as follows: "Clearly
we need a more formal organization (the AAPT?) for dealing with this
[CDE] bureaucracy"

Don't get your hopes up! Judging from their program scheduling at
meetings, neither the AAPT nor the APS has shown much interest in
the
sad state of CA and U.S. K-12 science education. For example, both
the AAPT nor the APS have taken a casual attitude towards the
attempt
of radical direct instructionists of the Mathematically Correct type
[see its antediluvian "Science Corner"
<http://mathematicallycorrect.com/science.htm>] to take over
science/math education in the U.S. [see e.g., Hake (2004a,b;
2005a,b,c)].