[Phys-L] Re: Travel distance in a waveguide.

here's my first hit -- I haven't read it, and I think it doesn't
"really" answer.

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/S.Bhatti/D51-notes/node21.html#figmonomodefibre

Mmmm solitons in optical wave guides....

Dispersion also, of course.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:JqG9zVFVrvQJ:phys.strath.ac.uk/12-444/OCC%2520Exam00.pdf+%22waveguide%22+OR+%22guided+wave%22++++optical+fibre+%22group+velocity%22&hl=en
<http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:JqG9zVFVrvQJ:phys.strath.ac.uk/12-444/OCC%2520Exam00.pdf+%22waveguide%22+OR+%22guided+wave%22++++optical+fibre+%22group+velocity%22&hl=en>

bc, who finds there's a lot out there.

Michael Edmiston wrote:

We have an apparatus for measuring the speed of light in which a red LED
is pulsed at about 800 kHz; the pulses travel through a 20-meter fiber
optic cable; an oscilloscope is used to measure the time the light
pulses take to go through the cable.

The company advertizes the refractive index for the fiber is 1.50 for

cut