[Phys-L] Re: Research on Student Response Systems

Robert Cohen wrote:

I'll add one more complication. I've been using a student
response system for four years now and I'm still learning how
to use it effectively. So, one would also need to consider
the preparation of the instructor.

In my own study (which uses a simple pre/post test), it
doesn't seem to have improved learning the first two years I
tried it. It is only after I learned which questions to ask,
how to get students to utilize the information for
self-assessment, and how to use it myself to change
instruction "mid-stream" that I think it has become an effective tool.

This is an important point and highlights the fact that technology
is, in general, value neutral. What matters is how the technology, or
any tool, is used. Mazur has demonstrated learning gains through Peer
Instruction, and has found a PRS system to be a useful way to do this.
The PRS isn't improving learning, Peer Instruction is.

With this said, I have found with some colleagues that technology
such as this can be a lever to move them towards more interactive
and less lecture-centered approaches to class.

Bruce Mason
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of Oklahoma
email: bmason@ou.edu