[Phys-L] Re: Research on Student Response Systems

The problem here is one that faces almost all 'research' on educational
methods--and was alluded to in an earlier post. There are no INDEPENDENT
testing centers for any of these methods. The testing is done by the
inventors/advocates of the method. As such they bring an enthusiasm and
dedication to the method that will not be duplicated in general use. Hence,
almost all published tests of new techniques are positive.

With this one, the problem really is the
infrastructure/upkeep/record-keeping that goes along with effective use.
When new and novel, an instructor will put in the time and effort. What
about year two and three?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Animations for PowerPoint
Newton's Maze lab simulation
Simplified Energy Management Simulator
Energy 2100--class project