[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

I haven't read the whole thread, so I might be asking an already
answered question., but is there any research to indicate that the
learning of certain process creates neural networks that must be in
place to effectively learn new processes? I started teaching the year
that the TI-18 became cheap enough for H.S. use. We had long
discussions about how this would ultimately affect students' abilities
to do more complex things. Log's , sin, arcsin, etc. are just buttons
on students' calculators; they possess no deep understanding of the role
they play mathematically. However, they are quite adept at creatively
solving problems graphically. Are they getting to the same place riding
a different bus? For example; I don't know how to strike a fire with a
flint and steel, but it hasn't caused me much trouble yet.

A related request: I seem to remember a short story (Asimov?) about the
last person on Earth who knew how to do arithmetic. He was seeking a
disciple before his death and was being sought as a dangerous influence
by THE GOVERNMENT. If anybody could help me find this story, I would
be grateful.

Greg Kifer
Olathe North High School

Cogito ergo spud: I think therefore I yam.