[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

An interesting question about the long division, and about other
algorithms, is 'How come that I got the correct answer if I do it in
that way?" Or "is this the only way to get the correct answer?" Or
"how was this method discovered?" Separating what is useful from what
is interesting and challenging leads to all sort of problems. Yes, I am
thinking about computer science. The importance of creating our own
algorithms used to be emphasize but today the emphasis is on purchasing
software. Is programming also a distraction?
Ludwik Kowalski