[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

John Denker wrote:

So I return the question to the group: Is there any counter
to Bob's argument?

If, after due deliberation, we accept the argument, the
consequences are profound. For one thing, we ought to pass
the word to the grade-school teachers, so they don't waste
time teaching long division. That will make a lot of teachers

John's idea (above) is an excellent argument. It's about time that we
take his advice
and tell the elementary school teachers to stop teaching long division.
After all .... we have already stopped teaching how to find the square
root of a mumber
with a pencil and paper ..... It's now time to stop teaching long
division.

Herb