[Phys-L] update: Modeling Workshops nationwide, this summer

Feb. 1, 2005
ANNOUNCEMENT:
Modeling Workshops in high school physics and/or physical science will
be held in summer 2005 in Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New
York, and Wisconsin. Pending funding, they will be held in Georgia, Ohio,
Kansas, and Virginia too. Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for details.
Click on "Modeling Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2005".
Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is the only high
school science program recognized by the U.S. Dept.of Education as
EXEMPLARY.
---------------------------------
ARIZONA:
High school physics teachers nationwide are invited to apply for FREE
tuition, FREE housing, and a stipend for these summer graduate courses at
Arizona State University in Tempe (a suburb of Phoenix).
Modeling Workshops in mechanics (June 13-July 1 or July 5-29)
Modeling Workshop in chemistry (June 13-July 1)
Modeling Workshops in electricity (CASTLE and microscopic models)
Modeling Workshops in waves, light
Modeling Workshop in 9th grade phys sci (Jn13-July 1 or July 5-Aug2)
Energy & the Environment
Integrated Chemistry & Physics
Advanced Modeling Workshop
Leadership workshop
Teachers may want to enroll in these courses to earn credit towards
re-certification, or to pursue an interdisciplinary
Master of Natural Science degree (MNS). Take one course or many!

Each summer, about 150 teachers (3/4 of whom don't have a degree in physics)
participate. They express high satisfaction!
They've said:
"I learned a tremendous amount and am all fired up to teach physics this fall!"
"I learned more about teaching and physics this summer than in 5 years of
college!"
"I LOVE this program!"

Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> and scroll down to "ASU's graduate program..."
for details. Bookmark the website for future reference.

Download the APPLICATION FOR FINANCIAL SUPPORT if interested. Don't delay!
NSF funding for teachers is available in summer 2005, but not after that.
(We have good family housing, by the way; & inexpensive!)
Cheers,
Jane Jackson

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
"I hear and I forget; I see and I remember;
I do and I understand."