[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: speaking of spectrometers (Ocean Optics)

We bought one, then promptly went out and bought two more, for a total
of three. This all happened before the USB versions became available,
so all of our spectrometers are cards that plug inside the computer.

We did not get identical units nor identical light sources. The first
was a standard PC2000 spectrometer for which we purchased the DT1000
vis-uv light source. The second was the same light source, but we got
narrower slits in the spectrometer so we could have higher resolution.
The third was back to a standard spectrometer, but with the less
expensive mini-vis-uv light source. This latter system is very small
(the footprint is essentially that if the computer you choose). We have
the small unit on a roll-around cart that can be wheeled into the
classroom or into any lab.

All our light sources were purchased with cuvette holders so these could
be used for chemistry. We also bought a reflectance probe and a "dip
probe."

We were very pleased dealing with the company when we ordered our
systems. We got good assistance and prompt attention. We are very
pleased with the systems. I can't say anything about the post-sales
service because we haven't needed any. I didn't look up the dates of
purchase, but I believe our units are at least five years old. We got
them fairly soon after Ocean Optics first announced the spectrometer.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817