[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: LED mini-flashlight price break

The State of Indiana converted all their traffic lights to LED's eith=
er last year or the year before. Turns out that the price of converti=
ng is less than the annual cost of just the electricity needed to pow=
er the traditional incandescent traffic lights, not to mention the ma=
intainence of changing bulbs in traditional lights. Automobile tail l=
ights are also moving toward LED's, in part because of their long-ter=
m reliability. Several lighting manufacturers are trying to develop =
LED equivalents for the standard household light bulb and the standar=
d office fluorescent light fixture. The motivation for doing so is h=
igh. In large buildings, the power costs of operating the lights is =
high (there are LOTS of lights), and the heat from the fluourescent l=
ights is a large fraction of the building's air-conditioning load. F=
urthermore, there are considerable maintainence costs involved with c=
onstantly changing light bulbs and ballasts, and hazardous waste and =
environmental issues connected with the mercury in fluorescent bulbs.=
LED's have the potential to be far superior in many ways. - =20
=20
Vickie Frohne

=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of Bernard Cleyet