[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Friction?

You can view the patent information at

http://tinyurl.com/6pfqt

It seems there are two parts to this: an upper part attached to the object you want to "hold" and a
lower part attached to the surface (such as a dashboard).

Most of us are familiar with the estimation of the coefficient of
static friction by using an inclined board. One tilts the supporting
board and finds the angle at which an object starts sliding. The
tangent of that angle is the coefficient. Yesterday I received a small
gift. It is called "cell mate." The objects do not slide, even when the
incline angle approaches 90 degrees. The package gives the US patent
number (6,673,409) and asi/59525. I also see this: "Non magnetic, No
adhesives, Washable, Reusable, Movable." Also "No More Slipping or
Sliding." The instruction to use (in a car) is simple.

1) Clean dashboard of dust and wax.
2) Slowly remove paper liner from the pad before use [presumably to
glue the pad to the dashboard].
3) Clean pad as needed with soap and water to re-new "grip."

The picture shows a cell phone and a pair of glasses that should not
slide when the car accelerate. What causes the grip?
Ludwik Kowalski