[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Computer Games (was Mac vs. PC )

This is my 'excuse' for staying up with what's happening in the gaming
world. ;-) My Energy Management Simulators (see below) are strategy
games. Part of the constant updating I do on these (a new, all-inclusive
version is in the works) is to keep them visually interesting because
students coming from gaming backgrounds will NOT be interested in 'PONG'
level graphics. The Newton's Maze program in my lab simulation series is
also a game--very simple game, but one based on the proper use of Newton's
Laws. This one is modeled from a real exercise we've done with large ball
bearings, air hoses, air-track air supplies, and lots of masking tape.
Admittedly my computer version has little visual excitement and would not
tempt many students to replay many times, but it is slightly more
sophisticated than 'Pong' and in the future could be 'spruced up'.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Animations for PowerPoint
Newton's Maze lab simulation
Simplified Energy Management Simulator
Energy 2100--class project