[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Mac vs. PC (no flames please!)

Larry Smith wrote:

Isn't it hard to buy a PC without Windows?

No.

Maybe you can't buy them over-the-counter at Circuit City,
but then again I doubt your school buys its computers from
Circuit City.

Off the top of my head: both IBM and HP are big Linux
supporters. My reading of the trade press gives me
the impression that their high-end "number cruncher"
and "server" machines come with *nix ... and msWindows
is not even available as an option.

If you want a low-end machine, you can order it from
walmart.com, with Linux and a bunch of "office" SW
pre-installed. Prices start at under $200 + shipping.
That's for a 1.5GHz machine ... which ought to be more
than good enough for typical classroom work.

The vendors mentioned here are illustrative only; I'm
not making recommendations pro or con. My advice: figure
out what you need, then shop around.