[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Forces acting on a book

I wrote:
"... to a _paddle_ made by gluing paper to a similar hoop,
rather than just resting paper on some object, the point
being to ensure that the paper is not left behind when
you wave the object around."

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

and newspaper laid on a flat stick won't be left behind even
if it's not held flat by atmospheric pressure.

Have you done the experiment recently?

1) In my experience, a piece of newspaper draped over a
broomstick has a considerable tendency to centrifuge
itself off the end. I can prevent this using careful
technique, but
a) my life is much easier if I tape the paper to
prevent this, and
b) if I'm letting students wave the thing around,
I'd be crazy not to tape it.

2) Perhaps "left behind" isn't exactly the right word,
perhaps I should have said "trail behind", but the
fact is that newspaper draped over a broomstick
will assume a 'flag' configuration, trailing behind
the stick. This might be OK for demonstrating
skin-friction drag ... but that's not the same as
pressure, and I'm pretty sure this thread was supposed
to be about pressure. And even if I'm wrong about
that, the pressure-drag you can develop using a
paddle configuration is a whole lot bigger than the
skin-friction drag you can develop in the flag
configuration. An easy way to ensure a nice big
frontal area is to use a hoop-like stick. A Y-shaped
stick is almost as good, and can be considered a
split-open hoop. Badminton rackets work great and
usually aren't too hard to borrow.

I'm not saying a hoop is the only way to demonstrate
pressure drag, but it's well within the envelope of
reasonable approaches. In any case I cannot imagine
why anyone would recommend draping paper over a simple
stick.