[Physltest] [Phys-L] Laws Symmetry and Reality

Below is a link to a paper which proposes that reality is strictly
relational. In other words what we view as objectively real is simply what we observe.
For example if we measure the spin state of an electron what we define as
real would be the measurement event itself. The concept of electron would only
have meaning in relationship to the observed interaction. Otherwise its
ontological status would be strictly as an abstraction.
This provides a very different interpretation than the classic Everett model
which views the wave function as the actual reality. Therefore, in the
Everett model all the possible branchings of the wave function are equally real
giving us the many world description of reality.
In the relational interpretation, the basic elements of objective reality
are the measurement events themselves. Therefore we can have un actualized
paths, eliminating the need for the many world metaphysics. In the Relational
interpretation the wave function is merely a useful Mathematical abstraction.
This viewpoint is much closer to the original Copenhagen interpretation of
Bohr and Heisenberg.
In addition, the relational interpretation, according to Anandan, may
rule out unification models. Anandan proposes that the so called laws of
nature are really the result of probabilities constrained by fundamental
symmetries.

*******************************

"All such schemes assumes that there exist a finite dimensional symmetry
group that unites the fundamental interactions. But such a symmetry group would
constitute a law and is therefore contrary to the spirit of this paper
according to which there is no intelligent design to the Universe."

"Laws, Symmetries and reality" by Jeeva Anandan Page 16.

This suggest that rather than a single unification scheme like SO(10) or
SU(5) there might actually exist a hierarchy of fundamental interactions. One
highly speculative scheme as an example is

G(n)=SU(4+2*n)_ps X SU(2)_L X SU(2)__R =

SU(3+2*n)_c XSU(2)_L X SU(2)_R X U(1)_B-Le =

SU(3+2*n)_c X SU(2)_L X U(1)_Y =

SU(3+2*n)_c X U(1)_em + SU(2)_w X U(1)_em

where the standard model would be the G(0) case.

If this hierarchy of symmetry structure exists, then we would have new
fermions with different electric charge structures. As demonstrated by Bar and
Weise ( "Can We See The Number of Colors") such a charge structure is anomaly
free, so is not ruled from first principles.
In any case, perhaps Quantum Mechanics suggest that rather than a Universe
governed by "laws of nature" the Universe is "governed "by probabilities
constrained by symmetries and what is objectively real are the measurement
events themselves.

Bob Zannelli

_http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0304/0304109.pdf_
(http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0304/0304109.pdf)