[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: California standards test in physics

Herb asks

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert H Gottlieb [mailto:herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM]
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 8:17 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: California standards test in physics

[snip]

Are tests really necessary???
Can schools run efficiently without all those quizzes,
weekly tests, midterm tests, final tests, other tests, and exams?

I recall one of our fellow list participants signature from several
years ago:

"I teach for free. They pay me to grade."

We're trapped in a political/social movement that says we must test to
be accountable. To my recollection, nobody has tested those who so
insist to make them accountable.

"Cosmological inquiry takes place in the
space between mathematics, theory,
experiment, simulation, observation, and
philosophic speculation. It is where
science lives."
- Daniel Herwitz

Dr. George Spagna