[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: California standards test in physics

I'll treat this seriously.

Initial dissipation will be ~ 12 milliW. It will increase as the
filament warms. However, as I'm too lazy to calc. how much, I guess the
response will be undetectable visually, even in the dark.

bc

p.s. I assumed a 120 V. as a 20 ohm cold is ~ a 50 watter.

more:

I think the problem w/the test is partly one of communication. The
writers strove for colloquial language (non std. physicseese) yet at
times were forced to use technical (Physicseese) language to ask a
particular question. This may be due to a section of the larger
community requiring pc (political correctness). Perhaps the questions
as originally written by "teachers" were "OK". Then the secretary and
the PC people got to them. e.g. The secty. thought velocity sounded
better than speed.

I'm beginning to think like Horowitz -- If a non European non fluent
english speaker intends to take Physics, SHE should correct those
deficiencies first.

bc

finally as a Physicist and like BW one could measure the lamp's PD with
an extremely sensitive and high resistance o'scope. Maybe the lamp will
respond by the PD increasing even tho the resistance of the rubber is on
the order of 10^12 ohms. What say apply 20 kiloV?