[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: earthquake

Anthony Lapinski asked:

I read a Yahoo news article from yesterday (Sunday) from the Asian
Associated Press. In it the head of Italy's National Geophysics
Institute
said that "all the planet is vibrating" from the quake, and that the
quake
even disturbed the Earth's rotation. Nothing more specific regarding
this
phenomena was mentioned.

Can any internal force disrupt the Earth's rotation? And if the quake
really changed the Earth's movement, is it large enough to detect? I
know
that tidal friction is slowing the Earth's rotation over time, but
that's
an external force from the Moon causing the water to rise/fall and hit
the
land masses.

I had a physical moment today. I realized that what is reported here is
not only reasonable, but it should be an expected consequence of most
earthquakes. I hope this is in time for teachers to answer their
students' questions today.

First, let's acknowledge that this is the consequence a geophyicist
expects from his detailed consideration of the process, not a physical
observation.

When an event like this earthquake occurs the moments of inertia of
Earth change. The angular momentum is instantaneously unchanged by the
event itself, though of course the angular momentum changes gradually
with time due to tidal torques. Because of the instantaneous change in
the moments of inertia, the angular velocity also changes
instantaneously. For an event localized on Earth's surface near the
equator this could result in an appreciable change in the direction of
the angular velocity which would then precess about the direction of
the angular momentum vector, the "wobble" mentioned in other reports.

Oh, yes, my physical moment. Why would one expect the rotation of Earth
to speed up in general when a large earthquake occurs? Earthquakes are