[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: pulse on a vertical rope

At 12:26 AM 1/3/2005, John D., you wrote:

> But
later when the pulse goes back down the rope, it will mostly
reconstitute itself, thus explaining why experimentally (from the
previous reference I gave), up to 10 returns of the pulse were
observed.

I've never done careful experiments on this system, but my intuition
and analysis are screaming at me, saying that there is a wide class
of pulses that will not reconstitute themselves -- especially for
narrow square pulses on a long rope.

///

Reflection from an impedance mismatch is not dissipative. On the Smith
chart, it shows up as a purely reactive impedance.

It's interesting to recall that one way of matching a line of one impedance
to another of different characteristic impedance is to insert a section
of smoothly varying impedance which matches each line at its ends.

This too is non-dissipative, and in the usual case, maintains narrow
square pulses.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!