[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Joe (was: Arizona State etc.)

Don't go, Joe! There's no offense and no harm done. I agree with much=
of what you say, having also witnessed plenty of examples of "how no=
t to teach." Some of them were very instructive, at least in the art=
of "how not to teach," and helped me improve my teaching by way of n=
egative example. As for the research aspect, I'm in the job market=
myself, having recently discovered the hard way that even in an oste=
nsibly "teaching" institution, it's not enough to be doing research =
at two major national laboratories. The only thing that counts is pub=
lications and lots of them. Grants are good, too, especially big on=
es, but it's definitely publish or perish. I was told that I'd be ve=
ry good at teaching in a community college where there are fewer rese=
arch expectations. Some community colleges seem to want Ph.D.'s for t=
he prestige of it. Others seem to hire only M.S. faculty because of t=
he lower pay. Mostly, it seems like only part-time positions are avai=
lable. One large community college in my area has zero full-time phys=
ics faculty. Another reportedly had 200 applicants for one of their t=
hree full-time positions, and decided to eliminate the position and a=
dd the top candidates to their army of adjuncts instead. Adjunct work=
doesn't exactly pay the rent. Neither does my research, although it=
's a great hobby. I'm not sure about training to teach high school, =
as I'd have to give up my research, spend a year and a lot of money g=
etting the certification, and then I'd still have to wonder if any hi=
gh school would hire a Ph.D. (pay scale again). So how about it, Ph=
ys-L friends? What's your "take" on the high school/community colleg=
e job market? What are your opinions about the odds that a Ph.D. wit=
h college-level teaching experience could get a job as high school p=
hysics/math teacher? =20
=20
Vickie Frohne