[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: "Effective" teaching methods

When I think about where that thought is going, I come up
with the following scenario, which is probably part farce
and part fact ... but I honestly don't know which part is
which, so please bear with me. A Modest Proposal (tm):

The aforementioned teachers could be replaced by (or
recertified as) CARPs i.e. Classroom Administrators /
Readers / Projectionists. Each day the CARP walks into
class and takes attendance, then reads a few pages from
the excellent text, then shows a few excellent video clips.
Every so often the CARP administers a quiz. The CARP
spends several hours per day filling out federally-mandated
paperwork.

The CARP doesn't have enough subject-matter expertise to
answer nontrivial questions from students, nor enough
to perform demonstrations that work.

Why do we need more than a handful of real teachers when
we have plenty of CARPs?

This proposal is not entirely fanciful.

Exactly. It was implemented in TX where they produced video disks for
physics so coaches could just show the disks and then grade the tests
without any knowledge. The truism was that a physics teacher in TX
would be addressed as coach. I am not kidding, I have actually seen
the series.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX