[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: "Effective" teaching methods

Frohne, Vickie wrote:
many
elementary education majors, and indeed many elementary education
*teachers* are far below the level of scientific and mathematical
understanding that they are required (by virtue of state and national
standards) to teach. It is impractical to think that the physics
community will be able to "cure" this situation by teaching
one-semester courses for pre-teachers, or working with in-service
teachers for a couple of weeks every summer in small groups. While
these efforts are useful, we just can't put enough usable information
in the hands of enough people that way. Teachers need *daily* support
with their "content." This is why having a good curriculum with
excellent ancillary teacher resources is essential.

When I think about where that thought is going, I come up
with the following scenario, which is probably part farce
and part fact ... but I honestly don't know which part is
which, so please bear with me. A Modest Proposal (tm):

The aforementioned teachers could be replaced by (or
recertified as) CARPs i.e. Classroom Administrators /
Readers / Projectionists. Each day the CARP walks into
class and takes attendance, then reads a few pages from
the excellent text, then shows a few excellent video clips.
Every so often the CARP administers a quiz. The CARP
spends several hours per day filling out federally-mandated
paperwork.

The CARP doesn't have enough subject-matter expertise to
answer nontrivial questions from students, nor enough
to perform demonstrations that work.

Why do we need more than a handful of real teachers when
we have plenty of CARPs?

This proposal is not entirely fanciful. There are already
ways you can get college credit via the Mechanical Universe
videos.
http://www.google.com/search?q=mechanical-universe+credit+site%3A.edu
http://www.google.com/search?q=mechanical-universe+telecourse+site%3A.edu

And there are more than a few courses on other topics, just from
PBS alone (and there are other sources).
http://www.pbs.org/als/courses/courselistings/courses_discipline.htm

And having looked at my share (thousands and thousands) of
transcripts, I can say that when looking at a transcript from
East Podunk Community College, I would have *more* respect for
a line item that said "Mechanical Universe" than one that said
simply "physics". It's not the solution to all the world's
problems, but it's a respectable serious thing.

Will this ever catch on in a big way? I don't know.