[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Math and Physics Teacher partnership?

Jack, in your previous post, you stated

<<So, please explain. How does all that differ from anything that I
said?>>

A few posts ago, you stated

<<Well, that's great for you, at your institution. But for Hoi
Polloi, such as I was at College of DuPage, Illinois, that's a great way
to stimulate the Dean's desire to have you go elsewhere.>>

I addressed that directly. If your Dean, or in my case Principal and/or
Headmaster, has his/her head so far up a politician's behind, or his own or
that matter, that s/he can't see the big picture AND causes trouble when an
instructor actually follows standards and job description, leave. There are
plenty of schools looking for educators who follow codes of excellence. I've
left schools over less.

Also, you stated

<<I conclude that he must have been living in a teacher's paradise.
The Dean's I have known expect that you will deal with whatever you get in
the classroom, exactly as your fellow, perhaps not very scrupulous
teachers, have done. Your job is to process students according to
schedule, and not make waves. Many of us have taught in tax-supported
schools where the overpriced administrators are primarily concerned with
getting along with the politicians.
So, Daryl, I'd like to hear more about the Utopia where you work
and how you deal with any conflicts arising from your standards of
excellence.>>

I repeat, I have no conflicts. Period. I'm sure a few of my Administrators,
past as well as present, may have minor conflicts, but I don't. I am sorta
in a 'teacher's paradise'. Have been in 3 of my 6 teaching posts. I was
hired by competent/excellent leaders and they have the faith in my teaching
to let me handle it the way I see fit. Further, I can't disagree more with
your assertion that my "job is to process students according to schedule,
and not make waves." My job is to cause the learning of physics, not process
students. I've been in tax-supported public education for 28 years. Everyone
'demands' excellence. It's only those in the trenches who can supply it.

I'm not advocating a lack of assistance to students who need it. In ANY
field. Far from it. However, the reason I jumped into this thread was to
address a statement by Scott Goelzer who writes:

I spend 30% of my curriculum time teaching and reteaching algebra to
juniors and seniors anyway.

My solution is simple. Don't. If 30% of your Physics time is spent on Math,
how much of the Physics curriculum can be covered? 70%? Heck, some of us
have trouble teaching 70% of our curriculum without spending class time on
other things. Kids have a plethora of 'help lines' available to them. My
kids are told repeatedly to get help in the Maths if it is causing trouble.
Some get it from me. Some get it from their favorite Math teacher. Some
don't get it. However, I'll be dag-gummed if I'll spend more than a minute
of my valuable Physics time teaching something a kid should already know. I
just don't do it. Now, if the kid comes in OUTSIDE of class, yes. I'll help
my butt off.

And believe it or not, my kids accept that. Because I simply expect them to
do it, most do.

Daryl

This email prepared and transmitted using 100% recycled electrons!