[Phys-L] David's latest triumph

I have been away for a while, lurking inattentively. We went down to
Cape Canaveral for the launch of Swift. For those who know me (or
David) I pass along these items:

http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/pa/newsbulletin/2004/11/17/text02.shtml
(Read to the end. The article is actually about David.)

From http://swift.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/swift/operations/status_log.html :

Dec. 16, 2004

Swift's BAT has successfully detected its first X-ray pulsar! The
transient pulsar, V0332+53, has been detected over the past ten days
in the BAT data. Fourier analysis of these data has found a very
strong and sharp feature at extremely high confidence level at the
first harmonic of the pulsar frequency. This observation confirms that
the timing properties of the BAT are good. We will load the
appropriate pulsar parameters into the flight software registers to
allow on-board extraction of data for this pulsar.

Leigh (David's Dad)