[Phys-L] Re: Elevators

Do they ever omit room 213 or how about 1313? Now I am wondering how
the 13 aversion ever came about. There were probably other numbers
which were considered bad at other periods of time. Also is this
number bad in all cultures, but just in Western countries? Of course
it is silly, but people develop phobias generally because of an
experience. This could be either cultural or physical.

An interesting phobia is fear of buttons. I know a child who
developed it after sleeping on his stomach. The buttons on his
pajamas hurt him. I also know an adult who had this phobia all of her
life. She admits it is not rational, but she can not buy clothing
with prominent buttons. I also know of a child who developed a
temporary phobia to watches as the result of an illness. The number
13 phobia is just another example of the many phobias that can develop
in individuals. The 13 phobia is considered respectable, but the
button phobia is considered weird. Do you know anyone who admits to
having a button phobia? I know two such people.

This phenomenon is one where someone makes a connection between
unrelated events and then thinks of them as being causally related.
Educators do this all the time when they insist without proof that
certain things are beneficial to students. My favorite examples are
the lecture system and standard demonstrations.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

John M. Clement
Houston, TX