[Phys-L] Re: Buoyancy question

One needs to generalize this a bit to take into account the "floating
needle" on surface tension. The generalization would take into
account the volume of the surface that has been depressed by the
needle. This generalization is needed for small objects such as water
skating bugs, but not for battle ships. Would this be virtual volume,
or pseudovolume, or what?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

2) We can replace it with a new theory: The new idea of
displacement is that you remove a floating object and see
how much water you need to replace in order to restore things
to the way they were. Perhaps we should call this the
REplacement theory of buoyancy rather then the DISplacement
theory.