[Phys-L] Re: metaphysics

I think that in our physics, "causality" is a construct which we invent as
an underlying context inherent in our models, in order to organize our
thoughts in our own human way.

In asserting F = ma, we invent the concept of particle interaction
(quantified as a vector "force") as the cause of accelerations.

But in an application such as GMm/r^2 =ma, do I assert that the left hand
side is the "cause" of the right hand side? I think not. The cause is the
interaction (force), a mental construct of my model.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/
trebor@winbeam.com