[Phys-L] Re: Buoyancy question

After I wrote the following note earlier today:

If I place a sewing needle on a piece of tissue paper and
float it on clean water, the paper waterlogs and sinks,
and the needle floats.
If I examine the surface of the water I see that it is
depressed under the needle. The depression curves up
smoothly to the surface.
Though the water surface layer is supportive, I wonder if the total
depression displaces as much water weight as the needle weighs?

Gary Turner <turner@MORNINGSIDE.EDU>,
you responded in this way:

No, it has to occur before there is that much water displaced.

When the surface is stretched, its PE increases, at an increasing rate
(w.r.t. displacement), going until it reaches a maximum level - at which
point it breaks. Let's assume we don't get there - otherwise we don't have
a problem to consider.
As the needle settles onto the water, its PE decreases, but that of the
displaced water increases, at an increasing rate (displaced water is moving
over a greater vertical distance). The net effect is one of decrease, at a
decreasing rate.

When the two rates match (so add to zero), we have a local equilibrium and
that is where the needle floats.

I found this to be an interesting description of the skin effect-assisted
buoyancy effect. I had difficulty justifying the assertion that the rate
of surface PE increases with increasing displacement.

If I take a model used elsewhere in this thread, of a long thin cylinder,
vertically plunged into the water, the surface's rate of PE increase seems
to be constant with displacement increase. Or did I miss something?

Suppose though that the combined grav PE fell more rapidly than the PE of
the surface rose, even up to the point where the needle was entirely below
the water "level". Suppose further that the surface does not close in on
itself - like dropping a cannonball onto a loose sheet of polythene - that
is trivial, it's going to sink!.

Hmmm...I seem to be finding Devil's Advocate counter-models:
A cannonball sinks a loose sheet of polythene floating on the surface:
but a cannonball does not sink a circular sheet of polythene fixed at its
perimeter to a wooden hoop. Or at least I can visualize circumstances where
the cannonball does not sink for this arrangement.
This would be comparable to an inflatable whose bottom skin is attached to
an inflated perimeter ring.
I would enjoy more on this balanced rate model that Gary laid out.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!