[Phys-L] Re: Buoyancy question

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> writes:
Perhaps the most useful criterion is:
in order for the object to float, the weight of the displaced water must
equal or exceed the weight of the iron object.

This has been cited a few times. But why is it true?

I deleted, by accident, a previous post that we should hold on to. The
pressure diffrence between the top and the bottom is the cause of
bouyancy. It is a force, treat it like a force. The other is an
interesting artifact of the cause ans a shorthand to determinbe if
something floats but is not the cause.

Ken Fox