Re: Meaningless problems in algebra texts

John C. wrote in part:
________________
As a result of this evidence I am very skeptical of attempts to push
formal proof in secondary school. It is always done in such a manner
that it does not promote logical thinking. However, it should be
possible to do it in a properly constructed setting in which student
perceive the necessity to prove things.

The above seems a bit contradictory, unless I interpret the skepticism
as being criticism of the efforts to push formal proof as opposed to
skepticism regarding feasibility.

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu