Re: Meaningless problems in algebra texts

> John C wrote in part:
> |
> | Consider that less than 10% of HS graduates can apply formal
> | logic according to a paper by Lawson et al. This means that
> | students will have great difficulty really understanding
> | proof. Now it is possible to get them to do proof, but it is
> | not possible to do it by most of the conventional methods.
> | Consider that the majority of middle school children are
> | concrete operational so that the conventional methods of
> | teaching algebra are doomed to failure. This means they are
> | incapable of hypothetico-deductive logic, but they can use
> | empirical inductive logic. Actually only about 20% of HS
> | graduates are fully able to use hypothetico-deductive
> | deductive logic and some are able to use it part of the time.

That's pretty much meaningless.
-- First, it switches back and forth between high-school and
middle-school. Alas what's true for one is not true for the other.
-- Also, it switches back and forth between Piagetian theory (which
speaks about what _can_ be learned) and numerically-precise yet
vaguely-defined assertions about _has_ been learned.

Piaget's theories are sometimes grossly mischaracterized in postings
to this list; I recommend people be skeptical. More conventional
introductions are readily available, e.g.
http://www.google.com/search?q=concrete-operational+age

RAUBER, JOEL responded:
How does one push a student from piagetian level to the next. I suspect
that one has to do tasks that are above the level that the student is
currently occupying. (gently and patiently of course)

Here's where it is important to distinguish between
a) Piagetian stages, and
b) what _has_ been learned.

Specifically:

a) There's no way you can teach a normal two-year-old to ride
a bicycle. No amount of pushing (gentle or otherwise, patient
or otherwise) will make any difference; you'll just have to
wait until the kid is more developed. In the meantime, stick
to tricycles and rocking-horses.

b) There are plenty of seven-year-olds that can't ride a
bicycle. It's not because they _can't_ learn it; it's just
that they haven't yet had the opportunity to learn it. They
just need a bike and a teacher (and some suitable terrain).

Meaning even if only 10% of high school students can do a proof; it
probably is a good idea to introduce them to the idea of a proof.

Agreed!

I would go farther and expect them to be able to "get it" i.e.
to learn how to do a proof ... maybe not up to J. Am. Math. Soc.
standards, but still a proof.