Re: On Phys-L

At 06:49 AM 11/7/2004, you wrote:
Hi all,

I have been reflecting Phys-L and its significance to my
professional life.
///
Clifford Swartz (former Editor of the TPT) once referred
to Phys-L as "brotherhood". He may have not meant it as
a compliment but in a way I feel that it is. To me it
means a friendly and helpful attitude toward other people
sharing the same craft.
///
Best wishes to all,

Antti

Antti Savinainen, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer in Physics and Mathematics
Kuopio Lyseo High School
Finland

It's been quite a few years since I passed through Kuopio
en route to Outokompu Copper mine, where the folks were eating cold fish
for breakfast at 4:30 am and the acrid smell of acid was alive on the air
from the ore processing operation. It was my duty to connect two
mini-computers in the same building with a null-modem connection
between serial 20 mA interfaces - when networking was still magic.

This was certainly superior to the Phosphorus processing plant I visited
in England, where the pavement popped and crackled underfoot, and
womens' nylons lasted a day or two before springing numerous ladders.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!