Re: Teaching Intro courses--HS/College/Gen-Ed (was Mass/Energy)

AMEN - brother!!

And I suspect that Saint Feynman would agree with you.

At 10:28 AM -0500 10/31/04, Richard Tarara wrote:
Reification of certain constructs IS NOT, IMO, a mortal sin and in the
context of the students that most of us teach, is a necessary step towards
the minimal understanding of the physical world that we are trying to
achieve. Those who want to preach sin and damnation for those of us who
don't heed their dogmatic message need to get into the classroom with 'our'
students and try to apply their preaching in our settings. Do that, show
success, show us that HS and gen-ed students have a better understanding of
the world with your approach, and then we will listen more intently.

Rick