Re: annus mirabilis

In his message "Annus Mirabilis", which could make a brilliant assay on history of science, Roger Borowick did a great job compiling such an impressive list of Einstein's contributions to modern physics. I would only add to it Einstein's article "On the Quantum Theory of Radiation" published in 1916 (or was it 1917? - I am not quite sure). I did not see this paper in the list. In it, Einstein showed a surprisingly simple way to derive the Planck formula by considering the black-body radiation in terms of his photon hypothesis. It was in this paper where he first introduced the concepts of spontaneous and stimulated emission and obtained the famous coefficients describing this process and bearing his name. In essence, the ideas outlined in this paper implicitly contained the principle of a laser.

Moses Fayngold,
Department of Physics, NJIT