Re: Teaching Masters

On Wednesday, October 13, 2004 3:46 PM, John Denker wrote:
Being a bit of an eccentric myself, I would urge him to look
into case (a) with a _research_ assistantship, if that can be
arranged. That would put him in the all-too-unusual
situation of having a teaching certificate and real research
experience. That would prepare him to do things that most
other people can't.
(This may be tricky to arrange, because many places that offer
assistantships like to give teaching assistantships to the
first-year grad students, and give research assistantships
to the more-experienced students. Also beware that some
hoity-toity physics departments would consider anyone avowedly
working toward a terminal masters to be a pariah.)

This may not be as unusual or as difficult as you might think.
After all, my path was similar to this and I don't think of
myself as unusually gifted. The only difference was that
I was completing MS at a different university than my MEd (but
I still completed both at roughly the same time).

In addition, just because the student expresses an interest in the
terminal masters does not mean the institution won't give a research
assistantship (RA). In my case, my MS institution gave me the
RA despite my insistence that I was leaving with a terminal MS.
They offered the RA betting that I would change my mind. As it
turned out, they were right. Meanwhile, many of the other students
in my class (who were seeking PhD's) left after the masters.

Initially, I didn't even want the RA and turned them down. I only
accepted on the condition that they would let me teach on the
side occasionally.

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301