Re: third law forces cancel?

At 2:05 PM -0400 10/11/04, John Denker wrote:

There should be no difference mathematically or pedagogically.
I would hope the students would realize that
k = -j <==> k + j = 0
is a tautology. They normally learn that in 4th grade if not
sooner.

Yes, I think they did learn in the 4th grade that your double implication
is a tautology. I don't think that _necessarily_ makes the two statements
equally advantageous pedagogically (and maybe that can only be determined
experimentally by the PER people, but it isn't a big enough deal for me to
pursue further here).

Larry