Re: height distribution for physicists

You mean like Fermi, or Pauli?

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, James McLean wrote:

Hello everyone,

In keeping with the usual depth and significance of our lunch
conversations, my colleagues and I today came up with the observation
that physicists seem to be rather tall, on average.

Could this be a real correlation? I can think of some reasons it might
be, for instance a correlation between height and educational level via
links with prosperity and nutrition. But that would not distinguish
between different fields of study, of course.

Anyhow, we thought it would be fun to get some data on the question, and
what better place than the phys-l list? If you are willing and you
consider yourself a physicist, please send me a private email at
<mclean@geneseo.edu> with your height and gender. Assuming I get enough

Of course, if you know of some place where something like this has
already been done, I'd be interested in hearing about it!

Moving science forward...
--
Dr. James McLean phone: (585) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (585) 245-5288

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556