Re: Atwood's machine problem

On 10/4/04 10:01 AM, "Ken Caviness" <caviness@SOUTHERN.EDU> wrote:

I thought that I understood you, but perhaps I didn't. Are you not saying
that
the r vector points straight downward, from the pulley to the monkey?

Howdy,

The r vector points from the Pivot Point at the center of the Pulley Wheel
while the CM of the Monkey hangs from a line which is tangent to the
Pulley's edge. This makes the component of r that is perpendicular to the
velocity vector = radius of Pulley.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs@wideopenwest.com)