Re: The Inertia of the Educational System (was PER for physics departments)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:12:24 +0000 fred bucheit <fbucheit@HOTMAIL.COM>
writes:
I don't think it is any great surprise that the educational system
is floundering aimlessly. How can we possibly design a system when we
can't agree on its purpose? Every educational study has working
assumptions, and therein lie the roots of its legitimacy. How many
educators will
agree with those assumptions?
Has there ever been an attempt to make a statement that defines
the purpose of the system?

Is the purpose of school to serve the individual, or is it to
serve the society in which he lives? Are those purposes congruent?

Fred Bucheit

I disagree that our educational system is floundering aimlessly.
Unlike other countries, we really do not have a national
educational sysem here. Each of our 50 states has its own
requirements and its own courses of study. Does anyone know of a
country that has done better??

Herb Gottlieb
From New York City