Re: The Inertia of the Educational System (was PER for physics departments)

I don't think it is any great surprise that the educational system is
floundering aimlessly. How can we possibly design a system when we can't
agree on its purpose? Every educational study has working assumptions, and
therein lie the roots of its legitimacy. How many educators will agree with
those assumptions?
Has there ever been an attempt to make a statement that defines the
purpose of the system?

Is the purpose of school to serve the individual, or is it to serve the
society in which he lives? Are those purposes congruent?

Fred Bucheit