Re: Cloud chambers

Quite true -- UC has the license and I had to report such use to the RSO
-- Actually I didn't need to as he supplied them to me knowing the use.

bc

Strickert, Rick wrote:

Am-241 from a, "ionization type" fire alarm
is a perfect source of alpha particles. The new
alarm costs $8 at Radio Shack. I removed the
source from an old alarm

According to 10 CFR 30.20 (http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part030/part030-0020.html), a person has an license exemption for possessing, using, and transferring an Am-241 smoke detector. If the Am-241 source is removed and used for another purpose, the person needs to have a radioactive material license from the NRC or an Agreement State. The license would cover aspects such as the use, storage, monitoring, radiation safety, and disposal of the americium source in the licensed facility.

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX