Re: Starting out with waves (originally Intro Physics Text/Course)

Once the informal observations have been made, have there been any pre/post
testing using the FCI or FMCE to confirm what you think might be happening.
Also has there been any pre/posttesting using some of the conceptual
evaluations in waves, sound and light?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Joseph Bellina wrote:

With all due respect, why would you want to start there. How would you
build and conceptual basis for understanding.

joe

This is the second year in which I have begun the introductory
(algebra-based) physics course with waves (progressing to wave-related
topics such as sound and light, then venturing into electricity and
magnetism), reserving mechanics for the second semester. It seems to
have been a highly successful experiment; the mathematical demands are
much less in the first semester than they were when we began with
kinematics. Far from being a poor basis for conceptual understanding,
beginning with waves has allowed much *more* emphasis on investigation,
cause-and-effect, and conceptual explanation than did kinematics.

Students respond very favorably to the concept-based instruction, and
are given time to acquire more experience in mathematical
problem-solving before complicated equations are introduced.

I am looking to carry this restructuring still further, beginning with
forces at the start of the second semester, *then* introducing
kinematics once the basis for motion and acceleration has been
established. I should like to hear from anyone with experience in such
a "force-first" curriculum.